On a crisp Fall evening, it’s nice to enjoy a hearty, warm chicken dinner. Senior Citizens need nutrient-dense meals to stay healthy. By cooking nutritious and delicious recipes, caregivers provide both nourishment and comfort for their Seniors.
Health Benefits of Chicken
Chicken breast is a vital element in the diets of many Older Adults. It’s an excellent source of lean protein. Getting enough protein is crucial for Senior Citizens to maintain muscle mass and stay healthy.
Chicken in White Wine Sauce
Sometimes chicken can get boring. People can get tired of eating plain chicken breasts. Fortunately, there are plenty of different recipes to try. For example, Chicken in White Wine Sauce produces tender chicken and incorporates a twist on Beurre Blanc (French butter sauce).
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- ½ c. dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 1 ½ c. chicken broth, low sodium
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Thinly slice the chicken breast and pound to an even thickness.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and onion powder. Lightly coat the chicken and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken breast and saute until golden brown on each side. Do not thoroughly cook the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Add the white wine (or chicken broth) to the pan and increase the heat. Boil until the liquid has reduced by half, stirring up any browned bits.
- Add the remaining chicken broth and chicken back to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes until chicken is tender and fully prepared to a minimum of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken from the pan. Increase the heat and cook the sauce until reduced by half. Then, stir in the butter and season it with salt and pepper to taste. Serve sauce over the chicken.
- Alternatively, for those with difficulty swallowing, the chicken can be pureed and covered in the sauce.
Stay independent longer with the help of Anita’s Angels, Inc. One of our Companion Caregivers or Certified Homemaker-Home Health Aides can help your Senior Citizen with cooking delicious meals at home.
Anita’s Angels, Inc. – We Are Families Helping Families. Call 908-788-9390.