There is a deep history of Irish culture in New England. From Scotch-Irish settlements in the early 1700s onward, the Irish have brought a wealth of traditions to the region such as St. Patrick’s Day, Irish soda bread, and Irish dance. Step dancing really took off at the turn of the 20th century with competitions for the jig, reel, and hornpipe. As a result, many Senior Citizens watch Irish dance in New Jersey around Saint Patrick’s Day.
Where can Senior Citizens Watch Irish Dance in New Jersey?
You have plenty of options if you want to watch Irish Dance around New Jersey in 2022. For example, the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown hosts a couple of different shows in March. In addition, the “Riverdance 25th Anniversary Show” is coming to the State Theater New Jersey in April.
Local Irish Dance Events
- Mayo Performing Arts Center is hosting “Morris Family Concerts: A Day of Irish Culture” with various Irish music and dance on Saturday, March 12, 2022.
- “Rhythm of the Dance” with the National Dance Company of Ireland will be at the Mayo Performing Arts Center in Morristown on Sunday, March 13, 2022.
- “The Irish Cabernet,” starring Andy Cooney, will be at Hunterdon Hills Playhouse from March 15 to March 20, 2022.
- Look forward to the “Riverdance 25th Anniversary Show” from April 19 to 21, 2022, at the State Theater New Jersey in New Brunswick.
Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 TBSPs sugar
- 1/4 stick butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375
- Lightly grease an 8” pie pan
- Stir all dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Cut cold butter into dry ingredients until you have pea-sized chunks
- Add buttermilk and beaten egg
- Mix until well blended
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth
- Form dough into a round loaf and press into prepared pie pan
- With a floured knife, cut a large X on the top about 1/2 inch deep
- Bake 35-40 minutes until golden brown
Happy St. Patty’s Day!
Whether Senior Citizens watch Irish Dance in New Jersey or enjoy Irish soda bread at home, we wish you a happy Saint Patrick’s day! We are Families Helping Families. Call to learn how our family can help yours—call 908-788-9390.