Apple picking for Senior Citizens is a great way to walk and be outdoors this autumn. Older adults can enjoy this fall outing with family and friends. Several farms offer hay rides out into the orchard, which minimizes the walking distance. Plus, the freshly picked fruit makes a healthy snack on its own or try our skillet fried apple recipe below.
Local New Jersey Orchards
Orchards and farms abound in the Garden State. With so many options, there is sure to be an apple picking location near you. We’ve compiled a list of New Jersey apple orchards that are great places for people of all ages to go apple picking.
- Battle View Orchards in Freehold, NJ
- Beemerville Orchard in Sussex, NJ
- Bonacorsi Family Farm in Flemington, NJ
- Demarest Farms in Hillsdale, NJ
- Eastmont Orchards in Colts Neck, NJ
- Giamarese Farm & Orchards in East Brunswick, NJ
- Hill Creek Farms in Mullins Hill, NJ
- Longmeadow Farm in Blairstown, NJ
- Melick’s Town Farm Califon, NJ
- Phillips Farms in Holland Township, NJ
- Riamede Farm in Chester, NJ
- Sun High Orchard in Randolph, NJ
- Terhune Orchards in Princeton, NJ
- Wightman Farms in Morristown, NJ
Skillet Fried Apples Recipe
Frying apples create a tender, juicy, and sweet treat that goes well on top of pancakes, yogurt, or oatmeal. They’re also tasty just by themselves.
- 2-3 medium apples
- 2 TBSP butter
- 1/3 cup sorghum or molasses
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 TBSP water
- Peel, core, and slice the apples
- Melt butter in a skillet over low-medium heat.
- Add sliced apples and stir occasionally until just tender
- Add sorghum (or molasses), cinnamon, and water
- Continue stirring until ingredients are fully incorporated
- Cover, remove from heat, and let soften a few minutes before serving
FAQ: What is the best month to go apple picking in New Jersey?
New Jersey orchards harvest apples in the fall starting after Labor Day. But the season stretches from late August through October. Peak apple picking is from September through early October.
Apple Picking for Senior Citizens
Autumn is the perfect time to go apple picking. So, get out and enjoy the crisp fall air and crisp fall apples. If you pick a bumper crop of apples this year, give our other healthy apple recipes a try — Cinnamon Apple Bake and Oatmeal Apple Crisp.
At Anita’s Angels, Inc., we strive to help Senior Citizens live fulfilling lives as independently as possible. We are Families Helping Families. Call to learn how our family can help yours 908-788-9390.