Early October is peak apple season in New Jersey. This time of year, local orchards are full of red, green, and yellow fruits. These healthy fruits are easy to pick, store, and use. Seniors need to stay safe but yet get out of the house and enjoy this Fall weather. Autumn activities like apple-picking lets Seniors enjoy outings while promoting physical and mental health.
A Healthy Treat
There is some truth to that old saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.” These sweet fruits make a nutritious fall snack. They are fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low in sodium. Apples are a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are also rich in antioxidants, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Many local orchards offer fresh pick-your-own apples this time of year. This makes for a delightful Autumn outing for Seniors and their caregivers. Please contact individual farms for times, availability, and guidelines.
- Bonacorsi Family Farm, located at 1137 Croton Road, Flemington, NJ, has a roadside stand and pick-your-own apples and grapes.
- Wightman Farms at 1111 Mt Kemble Avenue, Morristown, NJ, has pick-your-own peaches, nectarines, and apples on the weekends.
- Valley Crest Farm and Preserve, 14 Allerton Road, Lebanon, NJ, offers pick-your-own peaches, dahlias, and apples.
- Melickstown Farm has locations in Califon and Oldwick. You can make a reservation for pick-your-own or curbside pickup.
Oatmeal Apple Crisp Recipe
Wondering what to do with all these delicious Autumn fruits? Try this made-from-scratch dessert. Chunks of apple tossed with cinnamon, sugar, and a little flour create a delectable texture topped with golden oats. Granny Smith and Honey Gold are two of the most common varieties of apples used.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup cold butter, diced
6 cups chopped, peeled apples
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Grease 2-quart glass baking dish
3. In a medium bowl, mix dry topping ingredients and then cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside
4. In a large bowl, mix filling ingredients until well coated. Spread eagerly in the baking dish and sprinkle with topping.
5. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the topping is golden brown and bubbly on the edges.
6. Let cool before serving
You can also give our Cinnamon Apple Bake recipe a try!
Anita’s Angels, Inc. is here to help Senior Citizens enjoy life as independently as possible. Our Certified Homemaker-Home Health Aides and Companion Aides can assist with light housekeeping, cooking, and even accompany your loved one to outings. We are Families Helping Families. Call 908-788-9390 to talk about how our family can help yours.