Our state is growing older. According to the latest census data, more than 16 percent of New Jerseyans are 65 or older. Fortunately, there are many services for Senior Citizens in Central New Jersey. State and local governments provide assistance through agencies and senior centers. We’ve organized a list of essential links to connect you to local agencies, Senior Centers, transportation, and more for Hunterdon, Somerset, Morris, Mercer, Middlesex, Warren, and Union Counties.
What services are available for Senior Citizens in Central New Jersey?
The Division of Aging Services offers an array of services for older adults in the state. Each county has an Area Agency on Aging that connects Senior Citizens to local resources. You can find senior centers and transportation options in all counties.
Area Agency on Aging
Each county in New Jersey has a government agency responsible for coordinating community-based services for older adults. These agencies support Senior Citizens and their caregivers and help them get the support they need. Area Agencies on Aging located in Central New Jersey include:
- Hunterdon County Division of Senior, Disabilities, and Veterans’ Services
- Somerset County Office on Aging and Disability Services
- Morris County Division on Aging, Disabilities, and Community Programming
- Mercer County Office on Aging
- Middlesex County Office of Aging and Disabled Services
- Warren County Division of Aging and Disability Services
- Union County Division on Aging
Senior Centers are hubs of activity for older adults in Central New Jersey. You can find games and leisure, classes, lectures, exercise, and wellness programs. Senior Centers bring people together with a sense of community and fun.
- Hunterdon County Senior Centers
- Somerset County Senior Centers
- Morris County Senior Centers
- Mercer County Senior Centers
- Middlesex County Senior Centers
- Warren County Senior Centers
- Union County Senior Centers
Transportation options vary depending on where you live. For example, most counties provide transportation for Senior Citizens to and from medical appointments. In addition, public transit is an option in urban areas. Senior Citizens can travel at lower costs with the NJTransit Reduced Fare Program.
- Hunterdon County LINK bus lines
- Somerset County Division of Transportation
- Morris Area Paratransit Systems (MAPS)
- Mercer County Department of Transportation
- Middlesex County Area Transit
- Warren County Transportation
- Union County Paratransit System
Other Services and Support
- Adult Day Care creates a safe environment for older adults to spend the day while their caregivers are at work. There are different types of day programs available in the state. For example, Adult Day Health Services provide some medical-related treatment for Senior Citizens. Whereas, Social Adult Day Care is an option for older adults who don’t need special medical attention.
- Home Meal Delivery services, such as Meals on Wheels, bring nutritious food to homebound residents who cannot cook for themselves.
- NJSave is a support system for low-income seniors to save money on Medicare, prescriptions, and living expenses. This includes utility assistance, nutrition assistance, and property tax freeze.
- The Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) is a Medicare program for frail individuals over 55. PACE helps Senior Citizens live independently for longer by coordinating individual care, including primary medical care, home care services, and rehabilitation.
- Senior Discounts are significant money-savers for older adults who live on a fixed income. State parks and transportation give special rates to people over 65.
In-Home Care Services
The New Jersey Board of Nursing regulates Certified Homemaker-Home Health Aides (CHHHAs) who provide a range of homemaking and personal care services for Senior Citizens in Central New Jersey. They help with personal care assistance such as bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting and exercises. CHHHAs also assist with cooking, transportation, and light housekeeping.
At Anita’s Angels, Inc., we care deeply for seniors in our community. We know it can be tough to get the support you need, so, we advocate tirelessly for our clients to make sure they get the senior care services they need. We are Families Helping Families. Let us know how we can help by calling 908-788-9390.