Did you know there are many benefits of seafood for Senior Citizens? It’s true. Fish are packed with beneficial nutrients for Senior Citizens. For example, many fish contain Omega-3 fatty acids which help maintain healthy bodies. In addition, eating the proper portions of seafood can improve heart health, protect eyesight, and support bone and joint health. Keep reading for an easy salmon recipe.
Is fish good for Older Adults?
Yes! Fish is exceptionally healthy for Senior Citizens. Seafood helps reduce the risk of cancer, inflammation, and heart disease. Eat a variety of fish each week. However, avoid fish high in mercury.
Benefits of Seafood for Senior Citizens
Seafood has impressive health benefits for Older Adults. Oily fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, and trout contain Omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for keeping your body healthy. For example, nutrients in fish reduce the risk of dementia. Eating oily fish is also good for heart health because they lower blood pressure and cholesterol. Likewise, eating oily fish twice a week can reduce macular degeneration in the eyes.
Easy Baked Salmon Recipe
Are you looking for ways to incorporate more seafood into your diet? Try this simple salmon recipe.
- 2 Boneless Salmon Filets
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Lemon
- 1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F
- Line a baking dish with aluminum foil
- Coat the foil with cooking spray
- Lay 2 sprigs of rosemary on the foil
- Cut half the lemon into four slices
- Lay 2 slices of lemon on top of the rosemary
- Place salmon on top of the lemon
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Lay the a sprig of rosemary and slice of lemon on top of each filet
- Squeeze remaining half lemon and pour juice over the salmon
- Loosely enclose the salmon in the aluminum foil
- Bake for 15 minutes
- Remove foil and broil for 3 minutes
Heart health, eyesight, and cognitive ability are all part of the benefits of seafood for Senior Citizens. Our highly-trained Companion Aides and CHHHAs can help your Senior loved one with shopping and cooking healthy foods at home. We are Families Helping Families. Let’s talk about how our family can help yours—call 908-788-9390.