Winter holidays are a time to get together with friends and family for food and fun. When Senior Citizens visit loved ones during the holidays, they often want to bring a gift or festive dish to share.
What to Bring?
It’s courteous to bring a gift or dish when invited to someone’s home during the holidays. It’s a way of showing appreciation and gratitude to your host. Senior Citizens may find themselves wondering, “what should I bring to a holiday party?”
When invited to a dinner party, a bottle of wine makes a nice gesture. For venues away from the host’s home, you can simply send a thank you card after the event. At a casual gathering with friends, a homemade holiday treat is an excellent way to show appreciation.
Pecan, Cranberry Blue Cheese Ball
If you are looking for an easy festive appetizer to take to a holiday party, try this fun twist on the traditional cheese ball. Seniors and their caregivers can work together to make this recipe.
2 8-oz packages of cream cheese, softened
1 5-oz package of crumbled blue cheese
2 tbsp honey
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
2 tsp butter
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. Toast pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, frequently stirring until pecans begin to brown, then constantly stirring until pecans are light brown. Let cool.
2. Combine cream cheese, blue cheese, honey, paprika, and salt in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer on low speed until mixed and fluffy.
3. Fold in cranberries and cooled pecans.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours until firm.
5. Just before shaping, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
6. Add breadcrumbs and stir until golden brown.
7. Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl, let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in parsley.
8. Place the cheese mixture onto a sheet of plastic wrap and bring the edges together to form a ball.
9. Remove the ball from the plastic wrap and roll it in toasted breadcrumb mixture.
10. Place on a plate and serve with crackers.
One of our Companion Caregivers or Certified Homemaker-Home Health Aides can support your loved one preparing for the holidays.
Anita’s Angels, Inc. – We Are Families Helping Families. Call 908-788-9390.