Breakfast is known as “the most important meal of the day.” A nutritious diet is especially important for Senior Citizens. A breakfast with fiber and protein keeps you feeling fuller longer and gives you the energy to start the day. Banana Split Oatmeal is a quick and easy summer breakfast that caregivers can make for Senior Citizens. Try this creative twist on a classic meal.
Banana Split Oatmeal Recipe
- 1⁄3 cup quick oats (dry)
- A pinch of salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 banana (sliced)
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat frozen yogurt
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup water with a pinch of salt.
- Bring the salted water to a boil.
- Add the quick oats, and then reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with banana slices and frozen yogurt.
Makes one serving
Carbohydrates: 58 grams
Fat: 3 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sugar: 20 grams
This healthy summer breakfast for Senior Citizens is a good source of fiber and protein. Eating fiber-rich foods such as oatmeal and bananas help protect against heart disease and constipation. The oatmeal and frozen yogurt provide protein that the aging body needs. Consuming an adequate amount of protein slows muscle loss in Seniors. Good muscle mass helps Senior Citizens maintain activity levels and lower the risk of disability.
Do you want to make a difference in Senior Citizens’ lives? Anita’s Angels