On the last Monday in May, we honor military service men and women who have died while serving in the United States armed forces. If you’re coming together as a community, try bringing this Easy Memorial Day Recipe for Senior Citizens and enjoy the long weekend with friends and family.
This traditional Creamy Potato Salad recipe is a delicious addition to any Memorial Day cookout. However, it’s best prepared the night before to allow the flavors to meld while it chills. Plus, you can make variations to make your own twist on a classic dish.
Easy Memorial Day Recipe for Senior Citizens
This creamy potato salad is a classic side dish that is both tangy and savory. The potatoes are tender and coated in a rich dressing made with mayonnaise, sour cream, fresh herbs, and Dijon mustard, creating a deliciously satisfying and refreshing salad perfect for any summer cookout.
Creamy Potato Salad
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, parsley, dill, green onions, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooled potatoes to the bowl and toss to coat with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight, to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Before serving, stir the potato salad well and adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy this easy recipe at your next cookout!
Variations and Substitutions
With these variations and substitutions, you can switch things up and make your own version of this classic potato salad. Remember to adjust the seasoning and ingredients to suit your preferences and dietary needs.
- For extra crunch, add some diced celery and red onion.
- Try non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise.
- Using sweet potatoes makes for an exciting twist.
- Add protein with diced hard-boiled eggs, crumbled bacon, or diced ham.
It’s important for Senior Citizens to maintain a healthy diet. The approximate nutrition information for one serving (based on 8 servings) of this creamy potato salad recipe is:
- Calories: 355
- Total fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 300mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Total Sugars: 3g
- Protein: 5g
Please note that this is an approximate calculation, and the basic nutrition information may vary depending on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients used.
What is the significance of Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is a federal holiday commemorating men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. Communities across the country observe this national day of remembrance with parades and ceremonies and by placing flags on the graves of fallen soldiers.
Happy Memorial Day
We hope you enjoy this easy Memorial Day recipe for Senior Citizens. At Anita’s Angels, Inc., we offer in-home services that help elderly clients with transportation, shopping, cooking, and more. We are Families Helping Families. Let’s talk about how our family can help yours — call 908-788-9390.